I have been living in Tokyo (actually greater Tokyo) for more than a year but I have been suffering quite a great deal of homesickness since I started work here.
How do you guys actually survive overseas? I miss my family and friends overseas. I have local friends but it is really not that kind of closeness I get compared with friends back home. Also, not so cheap to pack up and go home, along with many other procedures to leave.
People say either you like living overseas or hate it totally. I think perhaps I'm slowly realising I am part of the latter. I have met up with other Singaporeans living here but I don't understand it when they tell me how they enjoy living overseas anymore...
I really want to go home. :(
Originally posted by crispylips:
Don’t give up so easily. Its not easy to secure an overseas position.
If you are homesick, you are probably not busy enough and that causes boredom.
I have been in China for the past 5 years. Its a rollercoaster ride.
Some of the things you can do are:
1) Travel all over Japan in weekend trips. Not to tourist places, but to interesting places you can find.
2) Develop some hobbie, Some Japanese are cool with weird ideas and you can learn something in the mean time to bring back singapore eventually.
3) Work parttime. Not for money, for expanding your circle, changing your environment.
4) Do some business. There are people that wants to buy Japanese stuff. (i am one)
5) Change your personal life. Get a partner, get married. Have a kid. Your time will be gone in a flash.
Lastly, remember why you wanted to go there in the first place. Hold on to that emotion.
Great and helpful advice. You definitely sound like one who works overseas.
never been to japan before
Is it because of the food or people or work that make you dislike living in Japan?